About Frances Taylor - Ottawa
I make fine art as well as functional and wearable art. My fine art is mostly needle-felted using wool, silk and other fibres as well as hand-embroidery to add the fine details. I often hand-dye my materials, and sometimes use semi-precious stones, machine embroidery, fabric paints and recycled copper wire to achieve the textures and colours that I seek. I frequently incorporate recycled materials that otherwise would go to landfill. My goal is to make art that stimulates the senses and communicates caring for the environment.
My art work is in private collections throughout Ottawa and is periodically displayed in galleries, art shows and group exhibits. I occasionally teach in workshop settings, or individuals and small groups in my studio. Please contact me for information on topics and my teaching schedule.
I'm pleased to announce that one of my pieces was published in the book "Worldwide Colours of Felt", available now. See this site for more information: http://textiellink.nl/en/
I welcome enquiries regarding commissions -- both artwork and the many other wearable art items that I make. Please contact me.
April 7-8: Out of the Box show and sale, "Fibre Fling 6". Kitchissippi United Church (Off Island Park Drive, near the Queensway). I will have 4 art pieces in the show as well as numerous wearable art on the sales table (from which you can take your purchases home right away). Afternoon tea will be available on the afternoon of Saturday, April 8th. Note extra parking in the Billings Bridge parking lot - a short walk away. Here are the details:
- Friday, April 7, 10:00 am to 8:00 pm
- Saturday, April 8, 10:00 to 5:00 pm
- Admission: $5.00 -- this event is a fundraiser for the Stephen Lewis Foundation
- High Tea on Saturday: $10:00
- Location: Kitchissippi United Church, 630 Island Park Drive, Ottawa (between Carling Avenue and the 417), Ontario, Canada
May 12 to 14: Ottawa Valley Quilters' Guild "Festival of Quilts 2017". The biennial quilt show at the RA Centre. I'll have wearable items in the show as well as numerous (I hope!) small items on the sales table. Free parking and door prizes. There will be vendors, demonstrations and "challenges". Here are the details:
- Friday, May 12, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Saturday, May 13, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Sunday, May 14, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Admission: $10
- Weekend Pass: $15
- Children under 12, accompanied by an adult: free
- Location: RA Centre, 2451 Riverside Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada -- see website for even more information: www.ottawavalleyquiltersguild.org
The River Guild, Perth, Ontario: has a selection of my fibre art wall "paintings" -- needle felted and hand-embroidered. They also have a fine selection of my hats with feathers.
The Mississippi Textile Museum, Almonte, Ontario: has a selection of free-form crocheted items, hats, brooches, scarves, cushions, necklaces and more!
The Gallery, Arnprior, Ontario: has a selection of my hats with feathers and various other items.